PHP 8 Release Announcement Page

  116452
November 19, 2021 03:15 pollita@php.net (Sara Golemon)
In seven days, https://www.php.net/releases/8.0/en.php is going to be
obsolete.

Well, that's a harsh term, but it certainly won't reflect the current state
on the ground, and we need to decide (should have decided, weeks ago) what
we're going to do with it.

1/ Make a new announcement page for 8.1 ? Effort: High, Impact: Awesome
2/ Update the 8.0 page? Effort: Moderate, Impact: Still relatively awesome
3/ Remove the link from the banner (but still keep the page for archival
purposes). Effort: Low, Impact: Shrugs all around
4/ Remove the link AND the page. Effort: Low, Impact: But... why?

Personally, I've not got the cycles for 1 or 2, so I vote 3.  Anyone care
to do more?  Bear in mind translations will be wanted.  If nobody steps up,
then I'll plan on implementing #3 next Wednesday.

-Sara
  116456
November 19, 2021 08:34 nikita.ppv@gmail.com (Nikita Popov)
On Fri, Nov 19, 2021 at 4:16 AM Sara Golemon <pollita@php.net> wrote:

> In seven days, https://www.php.net/releases/8.0/en.php is going to be > obsolete. > > Well, that's a harsh term, but it certainly won't reflect the current state > on the ground, and we need to decide (should have decided, weeks ago) what > we're going to do with it. > > 1/ Make a new announcement page for 8.1 ? Effort: High, Impact: Awesome > 2/ Update the 8.0 page? Effort: Moderate, Impact: Still relatively awesome > 3/ Remove the link from the banner (but still keep the page for archival > purposes). Effort: Low, Impact: Shrugs all around > 4/ Remove the link AND the page. Effort: Low, Impact: But... why? > > Personally, I've not got the cycles for 1 or 2, so I vote 3. Anyone care > to do more? Bear in mind translations will be wanted. If nobody steps up, > then I'll plan on implementing #3 next Wednesday. >
There's a draft page for the 8.1 announcement here: https://github.com/php/web-php/pull/450 So if we want to do an announcement page for 8.1, there's probably not that much work left in finishing that draft. Regards, Nikita
  116457
November 19, 2021 08:45 pollita@php.net (Sara Golemon)
On Fri, Nov 19, 2021 at 2:35 AM Nikita Popov ppv@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 19, 2021 at 4:16 AM Sara Golemon <pollita@php.net> wrote: > >> In seven days, https://www.php.net/releases/8.0/en.php is going to be >> obsolete. >> >> Well, that's a harsh term, but it certainly won't reflect the current >> state >> on the ground, and we need to decide (should have decided, weeks ago) what >> we're going to do with it. >> >> There's a draft page for the 8.1 announcement here: > https://github.com/php/web-php/pull/450 > > So if we want to do an announcement page for 8.1, there's probably not > that much work left in finishing that draft. > > Ah, of course. Bless Roman's heart. Yeah, we can get this polished in the
next few days and queue it up on web-php. -Sara
  116458
November 19, 2021 09:10 tekiela246@gmail.com (Kamil Tekiela)
I would suggest option number 5. Leave it as it is. Many people are still
not aware that PHP 8 has been released.
If that's not possible, then we should keep the page (opt 3), otherwise we
will be breaking links to it, e.g. on Stack Overflow.
Adding PHP 8.1 alongside would be great, but we already have upgrade pages,
so I'm not sure the effort is worth it.
  116459
November 19, 2021 09:13 pierre-php@processus.org (Pierre)
Le 19/11/2021 à 10:10, Kamil Tekiela a écrit :
> I would suggest option number 5. Leave it as it is. Many people are still > not aware that PHP 8 has been released. > If that's not possible, then we should keep the page (opt 3), otherwise we > will be breaking links to it, e.g. on Stack Overflow. > Adding PHP 8.1 alongside would be great, but we already have upgrade pages, > so I'm not sure the effort is worth it. > Hello,
I do not agree, PHP 8 release page was really nice (even for me daily reading internals) and I think it could be a nice tradition to keep. 8.1 does bring lots of nice stuff, which deserve a nice presentation. Regards, -- Pierre
  116460
November 19, 2021 09:38 giovanni@giacobbi.net (Giovanni Giacobbi)
On Fri, 19 Nov 2021 at 10:13, Pierre <pierre-php@processus.org> wrote:

> Le 19/11/2021 à 10:10, Kamil Tekiela a écrit : > > I would suggest option number 5. Leave it as it is. Many people are still > > not aware that PHP 8 has been released. > > If that's not possible, then we should keep the page (opt 3), otherwise > we > > will be breaking links to it, e.g. on Stack Overflow. > > Adding PHP 8.1 alongside would be great, but we already have upgrade > pages, > > so I'm not sure the effort is worth it. > > > Hello, > > I do not agree, PHP 8 release page was really nice (even for me daily > reading internals) and I think it could be a nice tradition to keep. > > 8.1 does bring lots of nice stuff, which deserve a nice presentation. > > Why don't you guys keep the same page for the whole 8.x series? You just
need to drop the ".0" and append at the end (maybe stating what's new from 8.1 specifically). The rationale is that people will be migrating from 7.x for a long time (hell, I'm still maintaining some legacy 5.x projects), so it would be nice to have all 8.x major language features in one page. Early 8.0 adopters might be better checking the detailed changelog for 8.1 or just the regular announcement.
  116461
November 19, 2021 11:38 rowan.collins@gmail.com (Rowan Tommins)
On 19/11/2021 09:38, Giovanni Giacobbi wrote:
> Why don't you guys keep the same page for the whole 8.x series? You just > need to drop the ".0" and append at the end (maybe stating what's new from > 8.1 specifically). The rationale is that people will be migrating from 7.x > for a long time (hell, I'm still maintaining some legacy 5.x projects), so > it would be nice to have all 8.x major language features in one page. Early > 8.0 adopters might be better checking the detailed changelog for 8.1 or > just the regular announcement.
I was thinking the same - a "PHP 7 upgrade" I worked on ended up as a jump from 5.6 to 7.4, and I had to trawl through the migration guides to remember what interesting features we were getting access to. It would have been great to have something that listed the highlights. Perhaps there should be a section at the end of the 8.1 page saying something like "If you're still on PHP 7.x, upgrading gets you all this as well!" with the headlines from the 8.0 page, and a link through. Regards, -- Rowan Tommins [IMSoP]
  116465
November 19, 2021 17:49 pollita@php.net (Sara Golemon)
On Fri, Nov 19, 2021 at 5:38 AM Rowan Tommins collins@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Perhaps there should be a section at the end of the 8.1 page saying > something like "If you're still on PHP 7.x, upgrading gets you all this > as well!" with the headlines from the 8.0 page, and a link through. > > ^^ This. Maybe even a bread-crumb style navigation to just to "What's new
in X.Y"? Granted, we only have 8.0 and 8.1 at this point, but it's a nice tradition to start. -Sara