PHP 8.0 Release Manager Selection

  109149
March 19, 2020 15:27 derick@php.net (Derick Rethans)
Hi all!

With the first alpha of 8.0 due in three months, I think it's time to 
start the process of finding and electing release managers for the next 
release of PHP.

We are looking for two developers to take on this role. Whomsoever is 
elected will be guided and helped by the previous RMs and the excellent 
documentation in php-src:README.RELEASE_PROCESS.

Candidates should have a reasonable knowledge of internals (without 
necessarily being a C guru), be confident about merging pull requests 
without breaking backward compatibility, doing triage for bugs, liaising 
with previous release managers, and generally getting the branch in good 
shape, as these are among the activities you will be undertaking as 
release manager.

Please put your name forward here if you wish to be considered a
candidate. An initial TODO page has been added to the wiki and contains
provisional dates for GA and pre-releases:
https://wiki.php.net/todo/php80

cheers,
Derick

-- 
PHP 7.4 Release Manager
Host of PHP Internals News: https://phpinternals.news
Like Xdebug? Consider supporting me: https://xdebug.org/support
https://derickrethans.nl | https://xdebug.org | https://dram.io
twitter: @derickr and @xdebug
  109151
March 19, 2020 18:12 pollita@php.net (Sara Golemon)
On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 10:27 AM Derick Rethans <derick@php.net> wrote:

> With the first alpha of 8.0 due in three months, I think it's time to > start the process of finding and electing release managers for the next > release of PHP. > > Name put forward. 7.2 is in security-only, and it'll be EOL shortly after 8.0 goes GA so I'm free to take care of a new release. My process
is also already setup for concurrent releases since I helped out on occasion with some 7.1 releases. -Sara
  109152
March 19, 2020 18:16 ben@benramsey.com (Ben Ramsey)
> On Mar 19, 2020, at 10:27, Derick Rethans <derick@php.net> wrote: > > Hi all! > > With the first alpha of 8.0 due in three months, I think it's time to > start the process of finding and electing release managers for the next > release of PHP. > > We are looking for two developers to take on this role. Whomsoever is > elected will be guided and helped by the previous RMs and the excellent > documentation in php-src:README.RELEASE_PROCESS. > > Candidates should have a reasonable knowledge of internals (without > necessarily being a C guru), be confident about merging pull requests > without breaking backward compatibility, doing triage for bugs, liaising > with previous release managers, and generally getting the branch in good > shape, as these are among the activities you will be undertaking as > release manager. > > Please put your name forward here if you wish to be considered a > candidate. An initial TODO page has been added to the wiki and contains > provisional dates for GA and pre-releases: > https://wiki.php.net/todo/php80
Derick and other members of the PHP development team, I am throwing my name in the hat for consideration as one of the PHP 8.0 release managers. I’ve interacted with many of you through the PHP project and the greater PHP community for the better part of 17 years. I am by no means a C guru, but I do have a good working knowledge of the internals, and I like to think I have a good pulse on the community and a good relationship with many of the previous release managers. I have experience developing and maintaining releases for other OSS software projects, and I would love the opportunity to volunteer more of my time to the PHP project. Thank you for the consideration! Cheers, Ben
  109154
March 19, 2020 20:59 mike@newclarity.net (Mike Schinkel)
> On Mar 19, 2020, at 2:16 PM, Ben Ramsey <ben@benramsey.com> wrote: > >> On Mar 19, 2020, at 10:27, Derick Rethans <derick@php.net> wrote: >> >> Hi all! >> >> With the first alpha of 8.0 due in three months, I think it's time to >> start the process of finding and electing release managers for the next >> release of PHP. >> >> We are looking for two developers to take on this role. Whomsoever is >> elected will be guided and helped by the previous RMs and the excellent >> documentation in php-src:README.RELEASE_PROCESS. >> >> Candidates should have a reasonable knowledge of internals (without >> necessarily being a C guru), be confident about merging pull requests >> without breaking backward compatibility, doing triage for bugs, liaising >> with previous release managers, and generally getting the branch in good >> shape, as these are among the activities you will be undertaking as >> release manager. >> >> Please put your name forward here if you wish to be considered a >> candidate. An initial TODO page has been added to the wiki and contains >> provisional dates for GA and pre-releases: >> https://wiki.php.net/todo/php80 > > > Derick and other members of the PHP development team, > > I am throwing my name in the hat for consideration as one of the PHP 8.0 release managers. > > I’ve interacted with many of you through the PHP project and the greater PHP community for the better part of 17 years. I am by no means a C guru, but I do have a good working knowledge of the internals, and I like to think I have a good pulse on the community and a good relationship with many of the previous release managers. I have experience developing and maintaining releases for other OSS software projects, and I would love the opportunity to volunteer more of my time to the PHP project. > > Thank you for the consideration! > > Cheers, > Ben
Just a quick note about Ben. I have known Ben since 2007 from living in Atlanta and frequently attending the Atlanta PHP meetup group he founded and ran with a few others for many years, before he moved to Tennessee. Even now he comes back frequently to Atlanta and contributes. It has been very clear the entire time I've know him that Ben is very committed to PHP and is fundamentally about what is best of the community at large. And I don't remember ever seeing Ben do anything with an ulterior motive, even when he easily could have; it was always about the community. I also know one of the people who Ben worked for for a long period of time who himself is a developer, and that person does not suffer fools. And while we don't always agree on every detail, Ben is very thoughtful, respectful, and it has always appeared to be willing to help out anyone who has asked for his help. In summary, I have an extremely high level of respect for Ben, his ability to manage an organization and its projects, and his diligence related to the PHP community. And I cannot think of someone better to help manage PHP 8 than Ben Ramsey given that he is offering. Ben would be an awesome release manager for PHP 8. #jmtcw -Mike P.S. Ben did not ask me to write this. He will probably even be a bit embarrassed that I did. :-)
  109158
March 19, 2020 23:31 ben@benramsey.com (Ben Ramsey)
> On Mar 19, 2020, at 15:59, Mike Schinkel <mike@newclarity.net> wrote: > > P.S. Ben did not ask me to write this. He will probably even be a bit embarrassed that I did. :-)
A little bit. :D I greatly appreciate your kind words. Thanks, Mike!
  109200
March 22, 2020 03:03 larry@garfieldtech.com ("Larry Garfield")
On Thu, Mar 19, 2020, at 1:16 PM, Ben Ramsey wrote:
> > On Mar 19, 2020, at 10:27, Derick Rethans <derick@php.net> wrote: > > > > Hi all! > > > > With the first alpha of 8.0 due in three months, I think it's time to > > start the process of finding and electing release managers for the next > > release of PHP. > > > > We are looking for two developers to take on this role. Whomsoever is > > elected will be guided and helped by the previous RMs and the excellent > > documentation in php-src:README.RELEASE_PROCESS. > > > > Candidates should have a reasonable knowledge of internals (without > > necessarily being a C guru), be confident about merging pull requests > > without breaking backward compatibility, doing triage for bugs, liaising > > with previous release managers, and generally getting the branch in good > > shape, as these are among the activities you will be undertaking as > > release manager. > > > > Please put your name forward here if you wish to be considered a > > candidate. An initial TODO page has been added to the wiki and contains > > provisional dates for GA and pre-releases: > > https://wiki.php.net/todo/php80 > > > Derick and other members of the PHP development team, > > I am throwing my name in the hat for consideration as one of the PHP > 8.0 release managers. > > I’ve interacted with many of you through the PHP project and the > greater PHP community for the better part of 17 years. I am by no means > a C guru, but I do have a good working knowledge of the internals, and > I like to think I have a good pulse on the community and a good > relationship with many of the previous release managers. I have > experience developing and maintaining releases for other OSS software > projects, and I would love the opportunity to volunteer more of my time > to the PHP project. > > Thank you for the consideration! > > Cheers, > Ben
I would be completely OK with a Golemon/Ramsey team for PHP 8. --Larry Garfield
  109238
March 23, 2020 17:27 kalle@php.net (Kalle Sommer Nielsen)
Den tor. 19. mar. 2020 kl. 20.16 skrev Ben Ramsey <ben@benramsey.com>:

> I am throwing my name in the hat for consideration as one of the PHP 8.0 release managers. > > I’ve interacted with many of you through the PHP project and the greater PHP community for the better part of 17 years. I am by no means a C guru, but I do have a good working knowledge of the internals, and I like to think I have a good pulse on the community and a good relationship with many of the previous release managers. I have experience developing and maintaining releases for other OSS software projects, and I would love the opportunity to volunteer more of my time to the PHP project. > > Thank you for the consideration!
+1 for Ben -- regards, Kalle Sommer Nielsen kalle@php.net
  109236
March 23, 2020 17:23 joe@joeferguson.me (Joe Ferguson)
Hello Internals,

I'd like to also throw my hat in the ring for 8.0 Release Manager. I've
quietly followed internals for a couple of years and have most recently
been involved with FIG as a project representative for the Phergie IRC
Project. Having recently retired Phergie I've stepped back from FIG. I also
am one of the maintainers of Joind.in and have release management
experience in several other open source projects. My primary motivation is
to learn more about the PHP internals process as well as working together
with you fine folks.

Thanks for the consideration!

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 10:27 AM Derick Rethans <derick@php.net> wrote:

> Hi all! > > With the first alpha of 8.0 due in three months, I think it's time to > start the process of finding and electing release managers for the next > release of PHP. > > We are looking for two developers to take on this role. Whomsoever is > elected will be guided and helped by the previous RMs and the excellent > documentation in php-src:README.RELEASE_PROCESS. > > Candidates should have a reasonable knowledge of internals (without > necessarily being a C guru), be confident about merging pull requests > without breaking backward compatibility, doing triage for bugs, liaising > with previous release managers, and generally getting the branch in good > shape, as these are among the activities you will be undertaking as > release manager. > > Please put your name forward here if you wish to be considered a > candidate. An initial TODO page has been added to the wiki and contains > provisional dates for GA and pre-releases: > https://wiki.php.net/todo/php80 > > cheers, > Derick > > -- > PHP 7.4 Release Manager > Host of PHP Internals News: https://phpinternals.news > Like Xdebug? Consider supporting me: https://xdebug.org/support > https://derickrethans.nl | https://xdebug.org | https://dram.io > twitter: @derickr and @xdebug > > -- > PHP Internals - PHP Runtime Development Mailing List > To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php > >
-- - Joe Ferguson JoeFerguson.me osmihelp.org
  109329
March 26, 2020 11:12 derick@php.net (Derick Rethans)
Hi again,

Just a reminder that if you're interested in being one of the PHP 8.0 
release managers, then now is the time to step forwards. I'll be 
starting the selection procedure next week.

cheers,
Derick

On Thu, 19 Mar 2020, Derick Rethans wrote:

> Hi all! > > With the first alpha of 8.0 due in three months, I think it's time to > start the process of finding and electing release managers for the next > release of PHP. > > We are looking for two developers to take on this role. Whomsoever is > elected will be guided and helped by the previous RMs and the excellent > documentation in php-src:README.RELEASE_PROCESS. > > Candidates should have a reasonable knowledge of internals (without > necessarily being a C guru), be confident about merging pull requests > without breaking backward compatibility, doing triage for bugs, liaising > with previous release managers, and generally getting the branch in good > shape, as these are among the activities you will be undertaking as > release manager. > > Please put your name forward here if you wish to be considered a > candidate. An initial TODO page has been added to the wiki and contains > provisional dates for GA and pre-releases: > https://wiki.php.net/todo/php80 > > cheers, > Derick > >
-- PHP 7.4 Release Manager Host of PHP Internals News: https://phpinternals.news Like Xdebug? Consider supporting me: https://xdebug.org/support https://derickrethans.nl | https://xdebug.org | https://dram.io twitter: @derickr and @xdebug
  109332
March 26, 2020 12:17 bukka@php.net (Jakub Zelenka)
Hi,

I think it might be worth to discuss if we want to go for PHP 8.0 at this
time. I'd think that lots of businesses will prefer stability over new
features and resolving BC breaks in the coming months. Also life of many
devs might get impacted. I'm thinking that it would be good to at least
consider if it makes sense to for example branch 7.5 from 7.4 and just
concentrate on stability and possibly additional deprecations. It would
also give us more time to improve 8.0 - at least I plan to do bunch of
things on openssl ext but the current situation makes it a bit harder for
me and I would imagine that it might be the case for others as well.

Cheers

Jakub

On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 11:12 AM Derick Rethans <derick@php.net> wrote:

> Hi again, > > Just a reminder that if you're interested in being one of the PHP 8.0 > release managers, then now is the time to step forwards. I'll be > starting the selection procedure next week. > > cheers, > Derick > > On Thu, 19 Mar 2020, Derick Rethans wrote: > > > Hi all! > > > > With the first alpha of 8.0 due in three months, I think it's time to > > start the process of finding and electing release managers for the next > > release of PHP. > > > > We are looking for two developers to take on this role. Whomsoever is > > elected will be guided and helped by the previous RMs and the excellent > > documentation in php-src:README.RELEASE_PROCESS. > > > > Candidates should have a reasonable knowledge of internals (without > > necessarily being a C guru), be confident about merging pull requests > > without breaking backward compatibility, doing triage for bugs, liaising > > with previous release managers, and generally getting the branch in good > > shape, as these are among the activities you will be undertaking as > > release manager. > > > > Please put your name forward here if you wish to be considered a > > candidate. An initial TODO page has been added to the wiki and contains > > provisional dates for GA and pre-releases: > > https://wiki.php.net/todo/php80 > > > > cheers, > > Derick > > > > > > -- > PHP 7.4 Release Manager > Host of PHP Internals News: https://phpinternals.news > Like Xdebug? Consider supporting me: https://xdebug.org/support > https://derickrethans.nl | https://xdebug.org | https://dram.io > twitter: @derickr and @xdebug > > -- > PHP Internals - PHP Runtime Development Mailing List > To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php > >
  109551
April 7, 2020 13:30 carusogabriel34@gmail.com (Gabriel Caruso)
On Tue, 7 Apr 2020 at 15:27, Derick Rethans <derick@php.net> wrote:

> Hi all! > > With the first alpha of 8.0 due in three months, I think it's time to > start the process of finding and electing release managers for the next > release of PHP. > > We are looking for two developers to take on this role. Whomsoever is > elected will be guided and helped by the previous RMs and the excellent > documentation in php-src:README.RELEASE_PROCESS. > > Candidates should have a reasonable knowledge of internals (without > necessarily being a C guru), be confident about merging pull requests > without breaking backward compatibility, doing triage for bugs, liaising > with previous release managers, and generally getting the branch in good > shape, as these are among the activities you will be undertaking as > release manager. > > Please put your name forward here if you wish to be considered a > candidate. An initial TODO page has been added to the wiki and contains > provisional dates for GA and pre-releases: > https://wiki.php.net/todo/php80 > > cheers, > Derick > > -- > PHP 7.4 Release Manager > Host of PHP Internals News: https://phpinternals.news > Like Xdebug? Consider supporting me: https://xdebug.org/support > https://derickrethans.nl | https://xdebug.org | https://dram.io > twitter: @derickr and @xdebug > > -- > PHP Internals - PHP Runtime Development Mailing List > To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php > > Hello there,
I'd like to throw my name in the selection of RM for PHP 8 :) I've been contributing to PHP itself for a while, apart from other contributions to the ecosystem. Best regards, -- Gabriel Caruso