Merging new hash algorithm (crc32c) into PHP 7.3 and maybe 7.2?

  104588
March 5, 2019 16:01 brampton@gmail.com (Andrew Brampton)
Hi,

I've recently sent a pull request <https://github.com/php/php-src/pull/3913>,
to add a new hashing algorithm, <http://php.net/manual/en/function.hash.php>
specific crc32c (Castagnoli's polynomial). This variant of crc32 is heavily
used by storage systems, such as iSCSI, SCTP, Btrfs, ext4, and is
increasingly being used in APIs (such as Google Cloud Storage, and Apache
Kafka).

The hash algorithm is small, and self contained. It cleaning merges against
master, and the 7.2 branch. It was suggested that in addition to merging to
7.4, I could get approval to merge into 7.3 and maybe 7.2.

This email is to get approval for which versions it can be merged into.

thanks
Andrew
  104621
March 10, 2019 18:50 brampton@gmail.com (Andrew Brampton)
Hey PHP Team,

bump. Would I be able to get this small, and self contained change included
into 7.3 and/or 7.4?

thanks
Andrew

On Tue, 5 Mar 2019 at 08:01, Andrew Brampton <brampton@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, > > I've recently sent a pull request > <https://github.com/php/php-src/pull/3913>, to add a new hashing > algorithm, <http://php.net/manual/en/function.hash.php> specific crc32c > (Castagnoli's polynomial). This variant of crc32 is heavily used by storage > systems, such as iSCSI, SCTP, Btrfs, ext4, and is increasingly being used > in APIs (such as Google Cloud Storage, and Apache Kafka). > > The hash algorithm is small, and self contained. It cleaning merges > against master, and the 7.2 branch. It was suggested that in addition to > merging to 7.4, I could get approval to merge into 7.3 and maybe 7.2. > > This email is to get approval for which versions it can be merged into. > > thanks > Andrew > > >
  104630
March 10, 2019 20:12 carusogabriel34@gmail.com (Gabriel Caruso)
As both PHP 7.2 and 7.3 has been out for a while, -1 on this one.

Best,
On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 at 15:50 Andrew Brampton <brampton@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey PHP Team, > > bump. Would I be able to get this small, and self contained change included > into 7.3 and/or 7.4? > > thanks > Andrew > > On Tue, 5 Mar 2019 at 08:01, Andrew Brampton <brampton@gmail.com> wrote: > > > Hi, > > > > I've recently sent a pull request > > <https://github.com/php/php-src/pull/3913>, to add a new hashing > > algorithm, <http://php.net/manual/en/function.hash.php> specific crc32c > > (Castagnoli's polynomial). This variant of crc32 is heavily used by > storage > > systems, such as iSCSI, SCTP, Btrfs, ext4, and is increasingly being used > > in APIs (such as Google Cloud Storage, and Apache Kafka). > > > > The hash algorithm is small, and self contained. It cleaning merges > > against master, and the 7.2 branch. It was suggested that in addition to > > merging to 7.4, I could get approval to merge into 7.3 and maybe 7.2. > > > > This email is to get approval for which versions it can be merged into. > > > > thanks > > Andrew > > > > > > > --
Gabriel Caruso
  104645
March 11, 2019 07:33 sebastian@php.net (Sebastian Bergmann)
Am 10.03.2019 um 21:12 schrieb Gabriel Caruso:
> As both PHP 7.2 and 7.3 has been out for a while, -1 on this one.
Same here; no new functionality should be added to already released versions.
  104653
March 11, 2019 14:02 brampton@gmail.com (Andrew Brampton)
Ok thanks everyone. Merging into master it is.

Thanks
Andrew

On Mon, 11 Mar 2019, 12:33 am Sebastian Bergmann, <sebastian@php.net> wrote:

> Am 10.03.2019 um 21:12 schrieb Gabriel Caruso: > > As both PHP 7.2 and 7.3 has been out for a while, -1 on this one. > > Same here; no new functionality should be added to already released > versions. > > -- > PHP Internals - PHP Runtime Development Mailing List > To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php > >
  104657
March 11, 2019 14:20 derick@php.net (Derick Rethans)
Hi,

don't forget the PHP-7.4 branch, which is *not* master (master is 8.0).

cheers,
Derick

On Mon, 11 Mar 2019, Andrew Brampton wrote:

> Ok thanks everyone. Merging into master it is. > > Thanks > Andrew > > On Mon, 11 Mar 2019, 12:33 am Sebastian Bergmann, <sebastian@php.net> wrote: > > > Am 10.03.2019 um 21:12 schrieb Gabriel Caruso: > > > As both PHP 7.2 and 7.3 has been out for a while, -1 on this one. > > > > Same here; no new functionality should be added to already released > > versions. > > > > -- > > PHP Internals - PHP Runtime Development Mailing List > > To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php > > > > >
-- https://derickrethans.nl | https://xdebug.org | https://dram.io Like Xdebug? Consider a donation: https://xdebug.org/donate.php, or become my Patron: https://www.patreon.com/derickr twitter: @derickr and @xdebug
  104658
March 11, 2019 14:32 sebastian@php.net (Sebastian Bergmann)
Am 11.03.2019 um 15:20 schrieb Derick Rethans:
> don't forget the PHP-7.4 branch, which is *not* master (master is 8.0).
Nikita already merged it into PHP-7.4 and master.